MSU Non-Credit Medical Service and Learning Travel Information

Michigan State University strongly recommends that students from MSU's College of Osteopathic Medicine or the College of Human Medicine participating in non-credit bearing medical service and learning obtain international health insurance coverage and have their travel registered in the MSU Travelers Database.

(Students enrolled in MSU's College of Osteopathic Medicine or the College of Human Medicine seeking credit for international experiences must comply with the colleges' guidelines for Individual International Health Experiences and Medical Clerkships or Rotations).

Obtaining Medical Insurance Coverage

A representative from the traveler's sponsoring department must contact the Office of Risk Management's Chelsea Horsley (or phone her at 517-355-5022 Extension 0) to order the same international medical insurance policy that is provided to study abroad students at the discounted rate of $1.20/day. Unfortunately, the Office of Risk Management can't charge individual student accounts, so the cost must be applied to a departmental account. Assuming the medical schools are not paying for insurance coverage for non-credit travel, students will need to make arrangements to reimburse their respective college.

Registry in the Travelers Database

All travelers (non-credit student travelers and accompanying faculty and staff) should complete MSU's Travel Authorization Form. Assistance should be provided by the unit or department sponsoring travel. If you do not know your unit's travel administrator, contact Debbie Gulliver ( (or phone her at 517-355-0343). Once the Travel Authorization and Emergency Contact Form is completed, the emergency contact details and itinerary must be entered into the Travelers Database. This is usually done by an administrative staff person in the sponsoring department that oversees travel. This task should occur at least 14 days prior to departure. Once travel details are submitted to the Database, all travelers will receive a Travel Confirmation E-mail from the International Health and Safety Analyst suggesting some important pre-departures safety steps, such as reading the U.S. Department of State's Country Information Sheet and registering travel with the local Embassy.

Entering Travel into the Database

If your sponsoring unit or department does not have access to the Travelers Database, the administrator who overseas travel should contact the International Health and Safety Analyst (or phone 517-432-4345) to obtain a database ID and password. To facilitate this process, the administrator should provide 1) the name of the unit, 2) the name(s) and e-mail address(es) of support staff requiring access to the database, and 3) the unit's 5-digit MAU/CUC.

Health Preparations

The MSU Travel Clinic provides faculty, staff, and students with travel health services. For information on required and recommended vaccinations, refer to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Other Resources

Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the many resources available to MSU's international travelers.